Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Windows Live Photo Gallery Will Soon Have Facial Recognition

Imagine, plugging in your digital camera, tagging someone’s face once and then having Windows Live Photo Gallery find the rest of the photos with that face. For a few weeks now people who have iPhoto have had this luxury.

Very soon, Windows users will be able to have this luxury in the next version of Windows Live Photo Gallery. The software will automatically recognise different faces and tag them for you.

The first beta is expected sometime in September.

This news comes from a Chinese website (translation). Unfortunately these tags will be available only in Photo Gallery so you will not be able to view them in the Windows Explorer.

I’m very interested in seeing how this works. Ironically I just spent a hour tagging all of my photos. This feature would have saved me, and many other people lots of time.

Some of the first things that I’ll be trying when the Beta comes out is whether it can recognize your face when it’s been obscured or cut off in a photo. For example, what if the person isn’t looking directly at the camera… would it still be able to recognize the person when only part of their face is visible? I’m a bit sceptical about its accuracy in situations like those, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

Tripp Zao

May 6

1 comment:

  1. ...err, this is old news in that the screenshot is a cooked up picture from research showing how face tagging could work. It's a dog and pony show, not real code.

    ReplyDelete